Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Developers rant

Even Nintendo loves the tanuki

As some of you may or may not know, I am a level designer and retro lovers. Both of which is a dream come true. However, for the last two or so years, I have been searching high and low for one in particular, and that's Legend of Zelda - Links Awakening; or Zelda no Densetsu - Yume o Miru Shima. I have edit and crashed with Lunar Magic, Super Mario Workshop, and even crashed the computer editing PangYa! But, I have never seemed to have come close to one of my most personal favorite games ever. 

I strongly felt that this game, and its Oracle series that came years later was a great past time to play, and definitely a breather from living in the 3D world with the 64. Then came the next portable series for the DS, and Zelda since then has been ruined beyond repair. I despise the look and feel of it, and it baffles me anyone would have the patience to play a Zelda game using only just a stylus pen. It's bad enough you have to swing your remote to use your sword, but this. Well, this is just retarded. Whatever happened to mashing the A button? Anyone remembers that??

The old style of Zelda was successful enough, and made everyone want more. I cannot understand why anyone thought the Oracle series was a bomb. It had a couple a tweaks. So what? Big deal. Tell me one Zelda game that didn't feel awkward at first. 

The problem with an editor is, no one knows how to assemble it. They know how to take it apart, move things around, put it back together. Not a big deal. The issue everyone seems to be having is the fact Links Awakening is a little more advance (or out of date) than most people expected. The game is so picky, and requires each byte to be carefully moved around through a Hex editor or whatnot, reconstruct each piece, and put it back together hoping it won't crash. In a way you can understand, the game was glued and pressed so hard, that even moving a loose piece is dangerous, and might break the whole thing.

I hear people constantly cracking their shots at building it in C++, but they all say something that makes the game throw a fit, and refuses to play. Why don't you throw it in Pearl then?? The game clearly wasn't built on a regular platform, so why not use something more advance and convenient? Makes sense to me. I don't have much developing tools under my belt, but that just seems more logical. THE GAME IS 15 YEARS OLD, you cannot tell me that Nintendo had a anti ROM theft management light years ahead of its time, and its uncrackable. You proved it with ZLADE. No one used the damn thing, but it was a start. 

So, come on... I've waited long enough. Let me tweak with it finally! I mean, if I REALLY have to, I'll rip out my hair to use ZLADE or ZOLE. I might even think about using Game Maker. More logical in that sense. Seriously guys, if your trying to do a hack, try your best to steer clear of ZLADE. It is a developers nightmare.

Enough with this rant. I got something special for you guys soon. Thanks for reading.... I think~ 

No comments:

Post a Comment