Thursday, March 15, 2012

Adventures of the Polar Cubs



So, I just finished watching something that the last time I honestly remember watching was about 15 years ago. It was a movie that was decades before Pokemon, and even older than Nintendo's entry into the gaming universe. That movie was The Adventures of the Polar Cubs.

Released on July 21, 1979, it told the story of two polar cubs, their experience growing up in the good and bad times in their life, only to end the movie with them parting with their parents to live on their own. It has a lot of Kimba's elements in there, and since I cannot say that 100%, it does feature animals like Kimba. It is rather interesting that the anime wasn't out of place except for the two cubs, who have a slight Russian element in their name, but still maintaining Japanese. Muushika and Miishika. And since a lot of you are probably reading that wrong, it's pronounced (Moo-shka - Me-shka) Very interesting names having a very interesting plot.

I was about seven at the time that I watched it on a VHS tape, and one of the final times would be right around 10 years old. Give or take. Back then, I didn't even realize it was even an anime. But then again, the word "Anime" was still very foreign to me. Nevertheless, I was still quite happy watching it, only to have a good laugh of what genre it was some years later.

Many, MANY years later, I managed to find it through a torrent file, and after watching it sadly, there was no DVD or VHS remake of it. It was quite surprising to even find it in the first place, since it was translated and released one time in the 80's. And even with a release in America, the acting was horrid. And I'm not talking about voice acting. That was actually somewhat good. I'm talking about the voice from the character and the actor was completely out of sync the majority of the time. You would find times where the acting was either too soon, or too late. While other times, the characters didn't open their mouth to speak, and yet, they still did.

I would be understanding if someone challenged that statement, saying the torrent file was bad. But, I also remember back then that nothing really matched up. So, no, they just were blatant about it. Since translating in the day was still not worth the paycheck to do, just be lucky it even got released at all.

Anywho, after getting to watch it again, made my head spin. It gave me that same feeling I got when I picked up and played Super Mario Bros. 3 for the first time in a couple of years. It was nostalgic and I felt something I lost came back in an instant. Though, I can't exactly recommend something like this to anyone, because 1. It's nothing but animals, 2. The movie itself is more than likely years before you ever existed, and 3. The out of place acting might make you turn away right now. Regardless, I suggest you give it a shot at least once. You might not regret it. Over a decade, and I still love it just as much as I did back then. But now, it's hilarious to catch the errors in it.

Again, give it a try. It's one of those animes that are pretty nostalgic, and shouldn't be buried forever. At least from my childhood. That's all folks~

1 comment: