Monday, March 31, 2014

Freedom! partnership review



Around a month ago, I finally was able to join a Network through YouTube called "Freedom!" And it seems to be all the rage to do a testimonial and give, in my opinion, a weak observation on their involvement. Meaning, these people joined within days or a week or two, and think it's worthy enough to be considered a testimony. I purposely held off on giving my two cents, because the longer I'm with them, the better I can educate you.

Since you guys are already aware that I'm not very vocal... literally when it comes to general public speaking, your just going to have to settle for a written out testimony. And I'm not going to sugar coat it either. All these videos I've seen spoke such great praise to the small network, and that's bs. It definitely has just as many down sides to it like any other network out there. Granted, it definitely has a lot fewer than most, but still has a bit of a sting to it.

I signed up on January 19, 2014 after learning and investigating the network's information hours before. Thinking they wouldn't accept me, I tried anyways. Figuring I had nothing to lose. Unfortunately, it took one month, and two e-mails to finally get them to do anything to my account. With the last e-mail stating:

"...I request somebody to review my application as soon as possible. If this cannot be possible in an appropriate amount of time, then I wish to cancel our pre-agreement by next written letter from me."

Within a couple of hours, I got a reply something along the lines of "We'll review it as soon as possible." And the very next day, I was accepted in. Everything else went along smoothly. What made me feel more discourage was others were mentioning they were accepted in days or a week. I just hope it was an oversight.

Before I go into my pros and cons, and a nice good-ol'-hachi-rant, let me give you a backstory on what Freedom! and what it takes to get in there.

As quoted from the forum itself -

"Freedom! is an MCN founded by George Vanous, who also founded TGN and any.TV."

Freedom! offers a 60%/40% no set amount guaranteed ad revenue profit which can you can increase up to 110% by doing a lot more work aside from uploading or by naturally growing. You require 1,000 views per month, or 33 views per day and no strikes on your account to be eligible. Your contract begins immediately, and instantly are managed. Meaning your videos are automatically monetized, assuming you had no copyright or third party content. The one thing I've noticed which I see as a huge problem is if you didn't want a specific video(s) monetized, it switches back without your permission. You're not locked into a contract, and can leave at anytime, so as long as you give one months notice.

Now that I got the required FAQ stuff out of the way, I'll go into the pros and cons real quick, and leave you to decide. I'll highlight each point, and explain in a sentence or two as to why.

Pros -

Competitive requirements - 1,000 views per month is the lowest requirement to get into a network that offers almost all the same features. Next to Zoomin Games and Social Blade.

Polite community - Moderators and almost all of the community are helpful and friendly. Assuming they pay attention to what you say, e.g. forum post.

Fast growing network - With George behind the helm, its only a matter of time before Freedom! goes against someone (ironically) like TGN.

Exclusive features - If accepted as partner, you get exclusive features like a music library, XSplit, personal dashboard, private Minecraft server, and more.

Cons -

Questionable revenue - Since your only guaranteed $1, no matter what, beyond that, is questionable what you make based on CPM. e.g. $3.00 for the first 1,000, then $1.35 the next 1,000.

Lack of royalty free genre music - Most songs advertised is a lot of staple type music you could hear in say, CoD or Minecraft. but lacks foreign music, chiptunes, symphony, etc.

XSplit is not free -They advertise XSplit free to all its partners, but in exchange, take $5 from your revenue from your adsense to continue using it per month.

Your channel will not explode in popularity - Freedom is no different from anyone else. If you're small, don't expect the community to show support, and watch the bigger channels keep getting bigger over you, as you're held down.

On a neutral note, the community is very bland as far as content creation go. A good chunk only play Call of Duty, Battlefield, Minecraft, Titan Fall, Angry Birds, Happy Wheels. Basically, everything everyone else has over saturated to no end.

Overall, Freedom! Has some unique features not found anywhere else. Unfortunately, everything else in between makes them no different than a bigger network. Revenue split is no different than most that offer the same split. And expect you to work on top of the videos you make, render, and upload on a regular basis if you want more revenue. Add the fact a bigger channel can instantly get a better split, and a good chance to be promoted, and it makes for interesting sight to see yourself competing against yourself in hopes you get George's attention.

I personally say go for it, but unless you're hyper social towards the community, interest in the games they enjoy, or super popular, its just best just to accept you're part of the network, and ignore everything else. In other words, treat it as if your in Machinima.


One last thing before I go, and that's how I'm probably not going to use their forums again. Because what happened was stupid and not fair that there was no warning or response.

I decided to contribute on the forums to show I wasn't trying to leech off the network. So, I wrote this extremely extensive guide for people trying to start doing Let's Plays on the internet. Seven hours later, half asleep, with still spelling and grammar errors littering about, I posted and went to bed. Next morning, I went back to check, and much to my surprise, my guide gained enough notoriety, it was stickied on top of the forums topic. I was quite flattered, and felt pretty proud.

About a couple weeks later after being partnered, the post was moved to the partner section, which kind of confused me. It was meant to people who were trying to get into Let's Play. If it was in the partner section, didn't they already have an idea how to do it? Regardless, I wasn't going to object, considering moderators don't listen anyways.

I got pretty angry when I had to find out myself that they removed it from the sticky shortly after. I asked why a few days ago, and people are still continue to praise it, but no one is responding, and it's still going down the list. In about a week from now, I'll ask again, and if the mods won't say or do anything, I'll take the post down and post it on here, as I feel I'm being treated unfairly. Which is the reason why I won't participate in forums these days much anymore.

So, that's my two cents on everything, and I hope it found it somewhat helpful, despite me going into a tangent at the end there. Thank you for reading, and I hope to see you over on Freedom! soon. Until then, see you soon~

If you would like to join, please use this link http://www.freedom.tm/via/HachiPlays which helps me out if you use it and apply.

20 comments:

  1. Hi Hachi1. I very much enjoyed your above post and found it informative. I know absolutely nothing about YouTube networks (except what you wrote). Freedom sent me an email out of the blue asking me to join. 3 other companies have done so also. The only one I have so far gone with is a company which was very specific about wanting to use one of my videos (non-exclusive) for a client of theirs making an Italian wildlife TV show and then later for some British client perhaps wanting to use some footage in a commercial. I don't want people to have to watch some ad before they see a video of mine, which is how I assume other companies/networks make money, so I have not done anything else. The popular video ("popular" by my meager counts - approaching 150,000 views) is of lions taking down a buffalo in Africa: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7w9ua1wwfw The company, which I like, is Videoplugger, Ltd, although I have no idea if I am getting a reasonable amount, although their interactions certainly seem on the up and up and they seem to negotiate in good faith.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, first I want to thank you very much for all that amount of information you gave about that network. I received a message from them about getting in that network with my channel, but I'm pretty sure that I'll not apply to get in because I've a lot of copyright content on my channel btw. I don't make thematic videos, I upload variety of what I think as a hobby of making any kind of videos, so I'm not awaiting for popularity and don't know what to do. Also at the end of the message they gave a youtube channel which is not available but a webpage which is pretty good and well made.
    "Visit:-
    Official Web Site:http://www.freedom.tm/MCNFREEDOMINDIA
    Official You Tube Partner:-https://www.youtube.com/mcnfreedomindia"

    What would happen to my videos if I accept to get with that network? Will be they able to delete all my videos if they want? Could they get all permissions with my videos as I (the owner) have?

    Again, thank you very much for your post.

    Note: My english isn't good enough to make myself understand, but I hope you've understand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, I have a bit of experience with running MCN's and how they operate.

      When you sign with a network, they normally don't have the option to remove or privatize your videos. They only get to monetize your content (enable ads). There of course is exceptions, but commonly only applies to special negotiated contracts with larger YouTubers (i.e. RayWilliamJohnson v. MakerStudios).

      The best advice anybody can give you in regard to partnering with a network is to read over the contract. Pay attention to revenue splits, term lengths, and any proposed licensing to use your content.

      -J

      Delete
  3. Thanks alot for the very good review.

    You made my decision clear to not partner with them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not happy with the services of Mcn Freedom... in jan i earned $66 USD but they paid only $40 in 1 million views.........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so what ur saying is ur complaining that thay gave u more then u should have got lol

      Delete
  5. dont join this scam network i lost my 1000views money from this scam network

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and how is it a scam how did thay take 1000 views worth of pay from u more detail would be nice

      Delete
  6. Built up in the spring of 2014 as administration outlet for creators, we generated into another domain of overseeing and adapting more prominent amounts and characteristics of content creators. Just the finest and most keen substance makers are acknowledged inside Trexton. Trexton is in direct connection with YouTube and is a Youtube network. Together we create best youtube network to partner with for advanced substance on YouTube.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for posting the highly informative review of the MCN. I just received an e-mail from them today and wanted to know more about the company before giving a yes. Good thing I Googled for reviews and came across yours right away. From what you said, plus the comments here, I'm definitely not going with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, almost two years being with them, I still stand by what I said. It's good if you really don't mind making; in my case, averaging around $0.30 a month, and you have no where else to go. But if you have choices, or just stubborn, go elsewhere. You'll be better off. I'm hoping to break away from them next Summer and join someone like TGN or Curse. Though, I'll do a little better research this time.

      Delete
    2. i honestly make more money than that without a network and i only have 64 subscribers....i see no reason to join a network like this unless they will out of the gate guarantee me a wider viewer base with wider circulation...and that really isnt this kind of game so i will stick with what im doing right now. thank you for the time you took to write this.

      Delete
    3. lol they are trying to get me to join them through email deff will pass i just made 4356 for the month of august with no network they obviously just want my money f that thanks for all the info and warning

      Delete
  8. freedom scam did not pay me a year ago

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. freedom is not a scam im geting payed and im with them lol so are u sure u were partnered with then fully back then

      Delete
  9. Thanks for informative post. I just got the same messages as everyone did. Wondering about it but now decided not to partner with them...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. u do see that this post was made 2014 things have greatly improved since then XD

      Delete
  10. Is freedom Network is legit because I'll be really upset if my hard work on my channel be gone

    ReplyDelete
  11. bt my channel got approved without any views

    ReplyDelete
  12. bt my channel got approved without any views

    ReplyDelete